1. Do you know where ... ?
a. was Shakespeare born c. Shakespeare has been born
b. has Shakespeare been born d. Shakespeare was born
2. Helen worked ....
a. hard yesterday at school c. hard at school yesterday
b. yesterday hard at school d. at school yesterday hard
3. They didn't know at that time that she ... opera so much.
a. liked c. likes
b. is liking d. was liking
4. I am absolutely sure that ... saw the accident.
a. anyone c. every
b. none d. someone
5. My daughter graduated from college ....
a. when she was eighteen c. when she had eighteen years
b. at the age of eighteen years d. when was eighteen years old
6. I realized they were ... lies to me.
a. saying c. speaking
b. making up d. telling
7. If you hurry, you might get there ... to catch the plane.
a. on time c. before time
b at time d. in time
8. The detective provided me with ... important information.
a. another c. an
b. a lot of d. a
9. The Romans constructed a lot of roads ... are still seen today.
a. some of which c. of which ones
b. all of them d. most of those
10. Will the plane have arrived ... five o'clock?
a. until c. since
b. by d. about
11. There are only two rooms in that small cottage, ... serves as a kitchen
a. the larger of them c. the largest
b. the largest of those d. the larger of which
12. This impressive ... tower was erected by the Normans.
a. ten-century-old c. tenth-century-old
b. ten-centuries-old d. ten-century's-old
13. If she ..., she wouldn't be lying in bed now.
a. would have listened c. listened to me
b. listens to me d. had listened to me
14. ... hand luggage must be placed under your seats.
a. Each c. Every
b. All d. A
15. I don't know why I ... such silly mistakes!
a. always do c. always am making
b. am always making d. always have made
16. One of ... days I am going to pay them a visit.
a. the c. our
b. those d. these
17. My sister was having breakfast when the telephone ....
a. ringing c. was ringing
b. rang d. has rung
18. ... we hurried, the shop was closed when we got there.
a. Despite c. Although
b. Even d. However
19. Last month my brother earned ... I did.
a. twice as much as c. twice more than
b. twice more as d. twice as
20. You ... listen to me while I'm talking to you!
a. can c. need
b. might d. may
21. "Oh, no! I've lost my driving license!" "You ... it in your office."
a. left c. leave
b. are leaving d. must have left
22. "This wardrobe is so heavy! I can't move it." "... I give you a helping hand?"
a. Will c. Can
b. Shall d. Must
23. If you ... meet her, tell her to ring me up.
a. should c. shall
b. can d. might
24. You can't leave on such ... weather!
a. a c. an
b. - d. the
25. In my opinion, his situation is similar ... mine.
a. with c. to
b. like d. as
26. It's high time she ... the truth.
a. knows c. should know
b. know d. knew
28. ... opening the door I saw a stranger in the yard.
a. On c. At
b. While d. In
29. I ... you to swim beyond the buoy!
a. will c. dare
b. let d. wish
30. We ... better postpone the match.
a. should c. would
b. had d. might
31. I can't get used ... to like that.
a. to talk c. to talking
b. to be talked d. to being talked
32. We would go for a walk if ... .
a. the storm were not c. it would not be for the storm
b. it was not the storm d. it weren't for the storm
33. "Why are you carrying an umbrella in such weather? " "I'm carrying it in case ... ."
a. it rains c. it rained
b. it will rain d. of the rain
34. ... the traffic lights before you cross!
a. Consider c. Mind
b. Watch d. Look
35. I will go fishing with you tomorrow if I ... free.
a. am c. were
b. shall be d. am going
36. "Are you still at work?"
"Yes, I ... here since 8 o'clock."
a. am c. was
b. have been d. had been
37. She suggested that they ... leave at once.
a. must c. might
b. could d. should
38. This book is worth ....
a. reading c. to be read
b. to be reading d. being read
39. He ... the train because he left home very early.
a. mustn't have missed c. can't have missed
b. wouldn't have missed d. needn't have missed
40. The children picked a lot of flowers and ....
a. so have I c. I did also
b. so do I d. so did I
41. ... his wife, he enjoys cooking.
a. Not like c. Not alike
b. Unlike d. Not as
42. When they saw her funny hat, they couldn't help ....
a. to smile c. smiling
b. smile d. not to smile
43. We would rather ... TV than go to the cinema.
a. be watching c. to watch
b. watch d. we would watch
44. Sometimes, competitions bring out the ... in the participants.
a. bad c. worse
b. badly d. worst
45. It was not until she opened the safe ... understood she had been robbed.
a. and she c. when she
b. that she d. she
46. Frankly speaking, I ... you are wrong this time.
a. am thinking c. think
b. believe d. assure
47. Alfred has not arrived yet; he ... the bus.
a. must have missed c. would have missed
b. can have missed d. should have missed
48. "Has any answer from the Ministry arrived?" "Not yet, but it's ... to come in one or two days."
a. likely c. probably
b. surely d. certainly
49. You will have lunch after you ... your hands.
a. wash c. will wash
b. washed d. have washed
50 ... me to post that letter.
a. Make c. Remind
b. Remember d. Mention
51 ... everybody here, I would like to thank our special guest for his impressive speech.
a. In addition to c. Together with
b. On behalf of d. According to
52. When we got to the chalet eventually, it ... for three hours.
a. was raining c. has been raining
b. had been raining d. must be raining
53. "Did Alex repair the gate himself?" "No, he ... ."
a. repaired it c. had repaired it
b. has repaired it d. had it repaired
54. If only he ... eat so noisily!
a. won't c. didn't
b. shan't d. doesn't
55. This time tomorrow our friends ... to Egypt.
a. will be travelling c. will travel
b. would travel d. will have travelled
56. That evening my sister ... her homework by the time I got home.
a. finished c. has finished
b. was finishing d. had finished
57. The doctor insisted that the patient ... the medicine twice a day.
a. would take c. should take
b. must take d. could take
58. By the end of the term, we ... a lot of new words.
a. will learn c. will be learning
b. will have learned d. are learning
59. I like this job ... it is badly paid.
a. however c. as though
b. even though d. despite
60. She would have caught the train if she ... a taxi.
a. took c. would have taken
b. would take d. had taken
61. The cake is not ready yet; it ... .
a. is just cooked c. will just be cooked
b. is just being cooked d. has just been cooked
62. The higher the prices, ... the things we can afford to buy.
a. less c. the fewer
b. fewer d. the less
63. Hardly ... the room when the telephone rang.
a. I had entered c. I entered
b. have I entered d. had I entered
64. A good mechanic must know ... a car.
a. to repair c repair
b. how to repair d. repairing
65. They did their best to prevent him from ... the bad news.
a. learn c. learning
b. to learn d. to have learned
66. I have found a wallet. I wonder ... it is.
a. whose c. who's
b. of whose d. of whom
67. ... your brother drives more carefully, he will have an accident.
a. Unless c. If
b. Even if d. Although
68. I'd rather read a book ... go to the cinema today.
a. then c. than
b. instead of d. except
69. I am three years older than you, ... ?
a. isn't it c. aren't I
b. am I d. is it
70. My sister doesn't drive, and her husband doesn't drive ....
a. also c. neither
b. either d. too
71. She can say ... she likes, but nothing can change their verdict.
a. what c. that
b. whichever d. whatever
72. After this event, it's ... her to decide what to do next.
a. with c. of
b. for d. on
73. My cousin spends most of her money ... buying clothes.
a. with c. on
b. in d. at
74. It's no use ... to her because she never listens.
a. talk c. to talk
b. talked d. talking
75. "Shall I bring you a cup of coffee? " "Would you mind ... me a cup of tea? "
a. bring c. brought
b. to bring d. bringing
76. "I'm so hungry!" "Sorry, there's hardly ... food left."
a. much c. any
b. a lot d. some
77. Under the circumstances there is nothing he can do ... wait.
a. but c. until
b. or d. and
78. "How do you manage to catch the first train in the morning?" "I am used ... very early."
a. to get up c. getting up
b. to be getting up d. to getting up
79. "Where is your mother now?" "She ... be cooking at the moment."
a. can c. has to
b. must d. had to
80. ... can make mistakes; no one is perfect.
a. Someone c. Everyone
b. Anyone d. Each
II. In about 100 words (10 lines), tell us about your motivation for taking up this English course, the hopes and expectations you have related to it and last, but not least, make a note of the reasons why you think that learning a foreign language is so important nowadays to people in general and to you in particular.
All rights reserved: global-lingua.ro